Welcome to District 3
District 3 is our union in Western Canada including British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Yukon Territory, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
The USW is the largest private sector union in North America with more than 225,000 members in Canada and more than 850,000 members continent-wide. The USW is Canada’s most diverse union, representing working people in every sector of the economy.
The seeds of this great union were planted in the late 1800s by our fathers and mothers, our grandparents, our great-grandparents and so on. They were seeds of commitment, solidarity and a common interest to fight for better conditions for working people everywhere.
Through wars and recessions, good times and bad times, we established our family roots: better wages, job security, reasonable hours and safer working conditions. Thanks to the strength and activism of our members, our branches reached out to lead movements to stop child labour, provide aid to injured workers,, fight for retirees, stand up for human rights and so much more.
The Steelworkers Humanity Fund
Veterans of Steel
Was created to be a member driven program to help Steelworkers who are veterans by covering topics that specifically pertain to them such as:
• contract language for veterans’ issues;
• increasing funding for the Department of Veterans Affairs;
• placing qualified veterans in good union jobs;
• helping veterans in both countries deal with mental health and other issues; and
• publishing a resource guide for vets who are union members.
Our goal is to engage our veterans in the union and in the communities where they live; educate and advocate for veteran issues in both the United States and Canada; and provide a variety of resources for Steelworker vets and their families.
• Help deliver needed resources for our members and their families who are veterans such as benefits info, help with PTSD treatment options, job training,
• Create a space where our veteran members can network with each other and help each other, build stronger local unions, and drive the Veterans of Steel
committees on the ground.
• Foster a culture of activism from getting engaged in local union work to volunteering in the community to running for political office and more.
• Build a strong connection with other veterans in the community.
If you are a USW member who’s also a military veteran and interested in learning more about our Veterans of Steel Program, Visit Veterans of Steel and fill out the form or text VET to 47486 to join. With your registration, you’ll receive a free “Veteran of Steel” dog tag and hard-hat sticker.